Jiu-Jitsu is a Brazilian martial art and sport that teaches small-bodied people to defend themselves from attack using special techniques. It is quite unique from other fighting styles because the practitioner uses their back.
History of Jiu-jitsu
It began in North India in the 17th century. The monks were trying to spread Buddhism and had to learn how to defend themselves along the way.
The techniques are relatively simple and can be used for a long time.
• Guard replacement with hip escape – It is the first thing you learn. You move your hips on the ground to escape.
• Scissor sweep – You are taught how to break the balance of the opponent. This sweep involves moving your hips at a particular angle and controlling your grips. The lower part of the body is used most in this style.
• Triangle choke from guard – In this style, the practitioner uses the legs to choke the attacker. However, attacking your opponent when they have a strong defense is ineffective.
• Cross collar choke from guard – It teaches one to use a firm grip on the opponent’s head to make them break their posture.
• Bridge and roll escape – It involves the use of thighs and the lower back to push the opponent off you.
• Elbow to knee escape – In this technique, you learn to use your arms as a frame and to move your hips. You also learn how to bridge thus creating space.
• Straight armlock from mount – It teaches one to apply force onto the opponent’s elbow and get them to submit.
• Americana lock – It involves the use of two limbs against an opponent’s limb.
• Rear naked choke – It is generally the best technique. It is mainly used against larger opponents for self-defense. It involves choking the opponent using your arms.
• Hip bump sweep – It involves the use of hips to sweep instead of arms. You can break the posture of your opponent in closed guard.
Jiu Jitsu belts
These belts show the progress of the students as well as rewarding those who have mastered the skill. An adult student is likely to move a grade higher every three months. The white belt is the lowest grade while the black belt is the highest grade. Many people tend to give up along the way; most of them reach up to the green, yellow or orange belt. Getting the brown belt may take as long as two years. Regular training and commitment is the only way to get up to the black belt.
Jiu Jitsu cost
The cost of learning jiu-jitsu varies. One needs to look for a school that has good coaching and resources to facilitate training. Hence, it important for one to do their research well, visit the gyms and find out whether they have what they need. If one want to do the sport competitively they need to look for a gym that will train towards this opportunity.…